Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Dilemma

For many people the Christmas season is made special by their family traditions. Families bake cookies together, exchange gifts, carol, give service--the list is practically endless. For my family making Sedgwick English Toffee tops our list. It is a tradition that has lasted decades, beginning when my mother wooed my father with it, sealing the deal with his wedding proposal. The toffee is THAT good. (OK, the toffee is really that good, even though the story may or may not be true).
So what could possibly be the dilemma then? The problem is that I am on the "Candy Deal" which is another, more recent Sedgwick family tradition where the participants go without eating candy for an entire year. Do you see where I am headed? How can one blast Karen Carpenter singing, "I'll be home fore Christmas" and stand at the stove top for 30-45 minutes (times MANY batches) and make English Toffee if I can't EAT any of it. A couple of my sisters have made exceptions for English Toffee in the Candy Deal. I mean really, can you trust a candy maker's toffee if they refuse to eat it themselves? We have said that we can eat it as an ice cream topping--but that's not working really well. Do I really have to eat a WHOLE BOWL full ice cream when all I really want to do is make sure that the toffee is good enough to give away?? And here is another problem--today when I took a picture of the toffee, I accidentally knocked some off of the table and it fell to the floor. As I cleaned it up I absentmindedly popped a piece into my mouth. What did I discover? It stuck to my teeth!!!!! I made that batch several days ago and hadn't gotten around to giving it all away, and the toffee that was left was not up to par. I know, this is getting serious.
So, I am a in a full dilemma. I don't know what to do. If I make an exception for the toffee, I will feel like I have to justify eating a little toffee after abstaining from candy for 11 1/2 months. If I don't eat the toffee, I might end up giving someone sticky or burned toffee AND end up eating too much ice cream. What would you do??

11 comments:

April Cobb said...

Cry!!! That is what I would do... And then I would take a chunk off of each batch and place it into a ziplock bag to put in the freezer for January 1. You have come this far!!! But you are probably feeling like an alcoholic in a bar. Hang in there. That is really good toffee. My heart bleeds for you.

shannon said...

I think I should drive down ASAP and taste test your toffee for you. I could be your offcial taste tester. What kind of friend would I be if I wasn't willing to provide such selfless(?) service!

Heather S said...

Clearly, the ox is in the mire. You must take bites to check on toffee quality.

Rachelle said...

You know what I would do!

Rachelle said...

Oh Ya, great job on the picture! Like the shallow depth of field!

Tricia said...

Okay- you've probably made you're decision by now, but in case you decided to eat the heavenly stuff, here's some biblical justification to defend your character:

Romans 14.

I'm pretty sure the last two verses were written specifically regarding toffee. ;)

Baxter's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Baxter's said...

Sorry, noticed a few grammatical errors. That bugs me. A true chef does not let ANYTHING leave the kitchen and enter other people's mouths until he or she has tasted it. It isn't even eating, it is cooking. As one with Sedgwick blood, you must not put that toffee out there...gasp...sticky...

Heaps Crew said...

Eat the toffee!

Jessica Sedgwick said...

I had the same dilemma last year...I ate it, but Dave and Madison abstained. Madison still reminds me that I didn't "really" finish the no-candy deal. I don't care. That toffee was dang good.

Erin said...

I've tasted this toffee (heavenly!) and now that WE are on the candy deal (thanks to your genius) I am feeling your pain!!! This is serious! So. . . what exactly DID you do? (I need a precedent to refer to come December '10).
p.s. awesome pic