Thursday, December 16, 2010

Are You a Real Girl or a Fake One


Up until last month my answer to this question came without even a nano second of hesitation. I was a real girl. No fake Christmas trees for me. As a kid growing up we always headed to the same Christmas Tree lot where Rick Giddings would help us find the perfect tree. Real trees carry memories for me. The smell, the pesky pine needles, the sap, forgetting to water them...it's what Christmas is all about.

After Mark and I got married and had a family of our own we would drive up the Sierras to a Christmas tree lot in Forrest Hill and chop down our own trees each year. It was the best. They had a horse drawn wagon to take you deep into the property, a huge tree swing to play on ,and my favorite thing of all, a bonfire so that we could stay warm, roast hotdogs and sip cocoa while feeling festive. When we moved away from Sacramento, my festive day at the tree lot became a quick trip to Home Depot. But that didn't matter because I still loved having a REAL tree.

That all changed a few days before Thanksgiving. Mark and I went to Lowes to buy a ladder. While he was shopping I took Matthew with me to enjoy the Christmas decorations. I saw a cluster of fake, pre-lit trees and went over to look at them-- I used to like looking at how ridiculously expensive they are. A fellow shopper saw me looking and started telling me that he had a pre-lit tree at home, at least 9 feet tall and beautiful that he was donating in a few days. Then as he left he gave me his business card and said that I could have it if I wanted it. He left and I felt stunned. Here I was in Lowe's facing a question to which I had always had an answer--no fake trees!!! But, if it really looked like some of these trees (which were over $350) maybe I should take a look?? So... long story short, we went his house. This is the tree. It works great in our living room. But, for the record, I am still a real tree girl.

5 comments:

Janice said...

Very cool. We always get a real tree but we live in Utah and they are easy to get.

Tricia said...

From one real girl to another: Last year I actually considered- FOR ABOUT FIVE SECONDS- having an easy, breezy pre-lit fake tree. And because I actually considered it, I know it's possible that some day I may actually do it. So, I say to you:

Way to go! Way to snag a fabulous deal! =)

Rachelle said...

I love a good deal and FREE is as good as it gets. It looks beautiful too!!

April Cobb said...

Don't feel bad. I am Rick Giddings' daughter, and I have two fake, prelit trees. A couple of years ago I realized that not only did my tree shed constantly, but it didn't even smell. As a busy mom, I sold out. I call it going green. It is better for the environment, right? I miss that tree lot ever year. Oh that smell!

Jessica Sedgwick said...

Every year when I'm putting on the tree lights (that job is always mine, I guess because I'm so particular about it being done right), I think a fake pre-lit tree sounds so nice. I love the smell of the real tree, but honestly, it goes away (or we get used to it and don't notice it anymore) after a couple days anyway. I'll be sad when/if the day comes, but it might be a possibility for me, too, someday.