Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hooray for Hollywood

The Santa Monica Pier was a big highlight for the kids. Who wouldn't like riding a roller coaster over the Pacific Ocean??

A couple days after Christmas our family, along with our friends the Glauser's headed up north to check out some of the touristy spots of LA. In all of my years of living in Orange County, I had never spent much time north of the Orange Curtain and was looking forward to spending some time with my family up there. We packed two days full of fun and even saw a movie star at lunch (Don Johnson, and yes, he was wearing sunglasses).

Lunch and Shopping at the Grove (place of our important Star sighting).

La Brea Tar Pits
This mammoth found here at the La Brea Tar Pits looked pretty big compared to Emma. Excavation at the tar pits still continues today. In fact, almost all of the ice age fossils on display in the world are from here.
I was pleasantly surprised by the La Brea Tar Pits. It was much more interesting than I had expected and not gimicky at all.

Mann Chinese Theater. Gimicky (is that a word), yes. Crazy people? Yes. Crowded? Yes. Do I need to get out of the car next time I am in the area? No.
I was surprised by the beauitful view that awaited us after we drove the windy roads up to the Hollywood sign. Who knew??
Looking the opposite direction from the same spot, this was the view (it looked closer in real life).
Stay out of this amigas way!
Matthew is making sure that Abbie is having a good time watching the indian dancers near Olvera Street.
Angels Landing train (pictured behind me) served the wealthy locals in the early 1900's who would take their butlers shopping at the Grand Central Farmer's Market. Today people use it to get to their high rise. The ride is just $.25 .
Mark and I were married at the Los Angeles LDS Temple (moment of silence, please) and this was the first time we were able to go back. It was beautiful all ablaze in Christmas lights.

2 comments:

April Cobb said...

That looks so fun! Did you happen to see my British Cousin, Hermione flying above on the trapeze on the Santa Monica Pier? She is a gifted genius and to her parents' horror, she is living in LA, doing the trapeze. Anyway, I love visiting LA. It is crazy and fun. There is so much to see and do. I hope your kids enjoyed it.

Jessica Sedgwick said...

Wow, makes me want to make the trip up there, too! Now I know what to do during spring break this year. Thanks for the ideas!