Thursday, February 24, 2011

Valentine's Tradition

Everyone in the family looks forward to our Valentine's Day Fondue Fest. The kids especially love the fact that there are "no limits" on how much chocolate they eat. Traditionally I make a delicious milk chocolate ganache and have plates full of strawberries, bananas, cream puffs, donut holes, pretzels and marshmallows. This year we did things a little differently. Emma is on a Dairy Free diet right now as an experiment to see if her headaches improve without milk in her diet. So instead of milk chocolate ganache made with heavy cream, I used a darker chocolate (no milk) and cashew cream instead of dairy cream to make the ganache. The sauce was a success, though we all missed the sweetness of milk chocolate. On a side note, her headaches have gotten a lot better over the past several weeks without dairy in her diet.




3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Sounds yummy. Hoping to see some pics and hear about your ski trip too!

Jessica Sedgwick said...

What a fun tradition!

April Cobb said...

Oh dear. We love fondue too. We did it for Trey's birthday last year and the kids were in heaven. So was I. Around here, they always put cinnamon bears out too. I think I might come down for Spring break. Let me know when your kids are out of school. I would love to see you!