Friday, November 6, 2009

Within Minutes

Right now this little guy is resting quietly in his crib. Every day, for at least 2 hours, he takes a really good nap. And it's no wonder, when you take into account how much mischief he gets into in a given period of time. For example, let me just recount the last few days around here. Two days ago, while making dinner Emma came into the kitchen to tell me that Matthew had made a big mess in the playroom. What did I find? Soft, squishy, old top ramen noodles ground into the carpet. Fifteen minutes after cleaning that up, Emma found me again...this time he had gotten into the chocolate chips and had eaten/smirred them all over himself and scattered them all over the couch. The funny thing was that while I was cleaning them up, he was still trying to shove as many in his mouth as possible. My last example: yesterday he wanted to watch a movie so I took the opportuntiy to take a quick shower. When I came down stairs he was still seated on the couch, but with the box of fishy crackers (that he found) in his lap. I figured that I could let that slide since I had a nice shower without interruption. However, I then discovered that he not only got into the crackers, but also into all of the vitamins (thank goodness for child locks). He managed to slide a chair over to the counter, climb on, open the cabinets, then find and open one container and shake them all over the countertop. Of course I had to see if he had eaten, any so I stuck one in my mouth. I had a hard time biting through it and when I did, I was sorry. I was rinsing and spitting for a good long time. Disgusting. Needless to say, I felt safe that he hadn't swallowed or eaten anything harmful. But really, what is he going to get into next? And why don't I supervise my child? It all happens too fast, within minutes.

4 comments:

Erika said...

Oh, that makes me tired just reading it...and even more tired living it;-) It really only takes a moment! And I feel like WHILE I'm cleaning up one "moment" the next "moment" is in play. It is a good thing he is so dang cute!!!

April Cobb said...

Wait, are you talking about Matthew or Fletcher? It sounds so familiar. This time will pass, right? But you must remember that though he might be in his most michevious stage, he is also in his cutest stage.

Mary said...

Lol, I feel the frustration building inside as I read this too! I think boys are just notorious for making big messes, and eating everything off the floor. I know Henry is at least! So, when DOES this stage pass?

Anne said...

You just described my life. It only takes one mess and then the downward spiral begins because while you're cleaning up the first mess, the next mess is in process and so on and so on.