Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Step in the Right Direction


Oh, this feels good. For me, this is kind of like a confession, and it has been long in coming. FIVE years in coming. These shoes. I know. They are terrible. In fact, I'm not sure that terrible is an adequate word to describe my fall/winter boots of the last half decade. I want to say that I don't know why I still have them--and worse yet still wear them, but I do know why. I know exactly why. In fact, these shoes actually say a lot about me. I'm cheap.
Of course, I liked them when I bought them and they were probably in style at the time too. Or at least only out of style for a little while. The problem is that I held on to them for so so long. Maybe it was the cushy sole, or the slick side zipper. Maybe I just liked the worn out toe or the fact that my socks didn't have to match my outfit when I wore these. But mostly, I just never wanted to spend the money when I went out shopping for shoes.
Today I bought a replacement (on sale of course) and I think things are going to change for me. My new shoes are black leather ballet flats-- the cute kind. I got them at Anne Taylor Loft when I was in there looking for something else. I've got a new spring in my step. It's a great feeling to let these shoes go! Talk about starting out the season on the right foot.

8 comments:

Erika said...

Hard to give up the slick side zipper. Congrats on your new purchase--I'm sure you look stunning ;-)

shannon said...

Where is the pics of the new fabulous flats? Help a girl out and don't leave us with the picture of that boot lingering in our heads! Ha! Ha!

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

I am dying over those shoes! Good for you to realize the problem and turn over a new leaf.

April Cobb said...

We all make mistakes like this. I too have let even more than a half a decade pass before I come to the realization that what I have been wearing so contently is no longer the least bit in style. I don't have the cheapness problem... I am just dilusional. I might have to go check my wardrobe with fresh eyes after reading this post. I didn't think the boots were that bad. Yikes!

Heather S said...

Hey...don't feel bad...I still have, and wear, a 14 year old pair of navy blue dress shoes. Can't seem to let them go!

Congrats on the move. Carlsbad is beautiful...but...I am like you used to be...only driven through...never lived there. I hope you love all it has to offer...wow...the beach seems like such a huge benefit.

It was so fun to catch up...you have a beautiful family.

Derek and Vicki and family said...

Jen- scary thing is that I am guilty of the same. I am hunting for a new sassy pair of black boots for the winter. ... anyway, sounds like everything there is busy and fun. Glad that you could move closer to famiy. (jealous) since we just moved away from them. Love the beach pictures. Want to hear something sad, my children haven't ever been to the beach.... we need to make some changes... maybe a visit:) love ya

Heaps Crew said...

I am laughing so hard, partly because I can relate! It is scary what I couldn't part with even with the move. You've motivated me, though. I think I have those same boots in black!

Erin said...

I know inner beauty is important--but sometimes it's a little lift in the outer that does the inner some good! Let's see that sassy new look, lady!