Thursday, June 24, 2010

Father's Day Recipe

Father's Day is a big deal around here. We love spoiling Mark with gifts and special meals. This year I found a recipe that was so delicious and EASY!


Filet Mignon with Balsamic Syrup and Goat Cheese
(Giada Di Laurentis--Food Network)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon butter
6 ( 5-6 ounce) filet mignon steaks
salt and pepper
2 ounces goat cheese

Directions:

Boil the vinegar and sugar in a heavy small saucepan over medium high heat until reduces to 1/3 cup --about 18 minutes

Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Melt butter in a heavy, large skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle steaks with s&p and put in pan. Cook the steaks to desired doneness about 4 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a baking sheet and crumble the goat cheese on top. Broil until cheese melts.

Transfer to plate and drizzle syrup around the stakes and serve.

This was delicious meal. The method and the sauce works well on other cuts of meat too. I learned that the hard way because I accidentally served tri tip steaks instead of filets for dinner. In my defence, our freezer is full of meats and I couldn't tell the difference between them. Never buy meats from the Premium Meats guy who goes door to door... or you may do the same thing one day.
Anyway, our Father's Day was wonderful. I really love this holiday. I had such an extraordinary father and my kids do too! It is a pleasure to give fathers this day to really let them know how much we love them. I tried to show it with this lovely filet mignon recipe--but the tri tip said it too!

2 comments:

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

oooh thanks for sharing!!

April Cobb said...

I am going to try the recipe soon. I kinda wish I had a freezer full of meat right now too. Then I could bypass the part where you actually have to pay for the prime meat. Anyway, not only is he a great dad and husband but you are a great mom and wife. I have watched you. I know. Keep sharing the wonderful recipes!